Name: The Brewer's Hotel (Arms)
Address: Clayport, Alnwick
 |
| Brewer's Hotel and Clayport Brewery 1932 |
The Brewer's Hotel opened in the late 1840s/early 1850s and was to last about 60 years all told, until it was shut down by the licensing committee in 1908.
The Clayport Brewery and Brewer's Hotel went hand in hand, the owners of the brewery letting the hotel to tenants. The brewery was originally owned by James Smart and John Crozier, eventually passing to James' son, George Stott Smart (1842-1895), who was a brewer and wine merchant in the 1860s and then to his own son, George Watson Smart.
 |
1864 Town Plan - Percy Arms PH, Brewers Hotel & Tailors Arms PH |
Listed landlords were Ann Dunn (-1861), Robert Arthur (1867), Robert Hedley (1871), Margaret Morris (1879), Margaret Robson (1881), Mr Carmen (-1889), Mr Watson (1889), Robert John Taylor (1889-), Charles Percy (1900), Thomas Haley (1900), George Rennison (1900-) and Thomas Redford Ternent (1905-).
 |
| 1864 Probate James Smart 'Roper & Brewer' |
.jpg) |
| 1871 Census George Stott Smart (Brewer) |
By 1871 James' son George Smart was living with his mother Ann, who was running the Oddfellows' Arms on Narrowgate.
 |
| Britain from Above - October-1932 |
This aerial photo from 1932 shows Clayport Street before the redevelopment and both sides of the street appear intact. At the bottom right you can see the old Clayport Brewery building set back and perpendicular to the street, behind what was the Brewer's Hotel.
 |
| 1851 Census - Mary Robson |
There is no reference to the Brewer's Hotel on the 1851 census above, but Mary Robson was living at the location and those around her were clearly working at the brewery, which at that time was owned by a William Dunn. First direct reference to the Brewer's Hotel is found on the 1855 directory below when Ann Dunn was the landlady.
 |
| 1855 Whellan's Directory - Ann Dunn |
Ann Dunn was the sister of William Dunn who was the brewer and also ran the Nag's Head on Fenkle Street until his death around 1863.
 |
| 1858 Post Office Directory - Miss Ann Dunn |
 |
| 1861 Census Ann Dunn 'Brewer's Arms' |
 |
| Newcastle Journal Thursday, Mar. 12, 1863 |
 |
| Alnwick Mercury - Monday, Aug. 1, 1864 |
 |
| Newcastle Journal Saturday, Jan. 12, 1867 |
 |
| 1871 Census Robert Hedley |
 |
| 1879 Kelly's Directory - Margaret Morris |
 |
| 1881 Census Margaret Robson 'Innkeeper' |
In 1881 when Margaret Robson was the landlady you can see members of the Smart family living next door who were continuing to run the brewery.
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, Aug. 10, 1889 |
 |
| 1891 Census Robert John Taylor |
 |
| 1894 Kelly's Directory - Robert John Taylor |
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, June 29, 1895 |
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, Nov. 14, 1896 |
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, May 26, 1900 |
 |
| 1901 Census George Rennison |
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, May 14, 1904 |
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, Nov. 11, 1905 |
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, Feb. 3, 1906 |
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, Feb. 10, 1906 |
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, June 22, 1907 |
Metropolitan Pigeon Show news on Saturday, Dec. 15, 1906 in the Edinburgh Evening News recorded members, 'Ternent, Emmerson & Co' at the Brewer's Hotel and a year later, the Alnwick Cage Bird Society was formed at a meeting at the hotel.
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, Dec. 28, 1907 |
The Brewer's Hotel finally closed in 1908 when deemed surplus to requirements, and compensation was paid to the owners, the following press cuttings providing details and background for the reasons why.
 |
| Morpeth Herald - Saturday, Mar. 7, 1908 |
 |
Morpeth Herald Saturday, July 18, 1908
|
Sadly, that was the end of the road for the Brewer's, but departing landlord, Thomas Redford Ternent fell on his feet, and 3 years later, he was running the John Bull Inn on Howick Street.
No comments:
Post a Comment